Friday, October 15, 2010

Care Packages

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who has sent me things.  THANK YOU!  All the letters, magazines, clothes, home goods, and, most of all, all the food items.  I have been truly blessed with wonderful friends and family and am unbelievably grateful for everything I've received. 

I’ve been at site for 47 days now and feel that I finally have a pretty good grasp on what my resources are here and how/where to get things.  While getting simple things, like toilet paper, can be a challenge and requires planning far in advance, I’m learning that everything I really need to survive can be found.  However it takes some work.  I live in the bush, quite literally. To get to my village requires a 4-7K bike ride on a bush road that, when it rains, can be impassable in a car. The marché in my village is usually really small, around 10 ladies, and on a good day I can get okra, eggplant, and tomatoes.  I have to bike 7K to get to a larger market, and about 16K to get to the best market around, which offers whatever is in season and some simple food staples, such as powdered milk and margarine, and a selection of African home-goods (nails, small mirrors, etc).  Anything that is more Western, like cereal or jam, or that you would want nicer then is offered at the marché, has to be purchased in Ouaga, which can be expensive (for Burkina), and requires quite the trip. 

That being said, I’ve been getting lots of questions of what do you need/ what can we send you.  Here are some care package suggestions.  The number one thing is food items- I’m a fat kid at heart and LOVE to eat, which is a problem here since getting food is a hassle and the diet here is extremely limited and bland (Would you like beans and rice, or beans and rice?). Also I divided up the list into items I have not seen in Burkina Faso, or are extremely rare, and items I can find, but are a different brand/ just not the same as in America, and things that would just make my life a little bit better -none of which I desperately need, but would love to have sometimes.  I know the list is a bit long, but most items are adapted from the generic “care-package” list.  Plus I have a lot of time to think about and crave all the foods I miss.   

Things I can’t buy here:

Brownie Mix 

Sun dried tomatoes

Dried or dehydrated fruits or vegetables (Banana chips and dried apricots are a favorite, berries would be amazing)

Granola bars/ breakfast bars/ energy bars/ bars of any kind

Granola

Trail mix

Beef Jerky

Parmesan cheese

Salsa con quaso/ nacho cheese (I’ve been lucky enough to have 2 dinners with another volunteer who had cheese in jar/can, and it made the meal so much better)

Cheese, really any type or form  

Vanilla

Any type of garlic spice

Basil & Oregano and the like

Spices: Lemon pepper, cumin, Mrs. Dash or All Spice, Taco, anything that makes food delicious  

Sauce/gravy/dressing/spice/ any type of flavorings

Nuts (NOT peanuts, pine nuts would be amazing)

Hair things (bobby pins, headbands- not to be fashionable, but it’s hot here and I have to do something with it)

Things I can buy here, but not American Brands:

Salsa (I LOVE Tostitos Mild, so if there is ever extra room in a flat rate box this would make my week!)

Cake Mix (for birthdays/holidays or breads)

Condiment packets ( can buy condiments here, but there is no way to refrigerate after opening)  

Quaker oatmeal squares/ delicious cereal

Instant oatmeal or grits (strawberries and cream or cheesy grits are my favorite)

Flavored drink mixes (I like the ones that have protein or something, so I feel like I’m adding more than just sugar to my bleach water)

Mac’n Cheese

Tuna in a bag (the tuna creations and steaks are infinitely better than anything here)

real Peanut Butter (not “All Natural”)

 

Things that would just make life a little bit better:

S’more Pop Tarts (they aren’t good for you, but they are delicious…)

Grains/carbs other then white rice, couscous, or macaroni (Israeli couscous, quinoa and orzo would be a welcome change!)

Candy/sweets (dark chocolate doesn’t seem to melt!)

“Just add water” type mixes (these have been wonderful!)

Soup packets (I’ve been craving Miso)

Bread mixes (banana, pumpkin, corn bread)

Instant mashed potatoes

maple syrup

cookies

Magazines of any sort (They are like currency to PCVs)

Any interesting news articles (I can’t even get radio signal in village, so I’m totally in the dark)

Clothes Magazines (to take to the tailor as models- I especially like Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters)

Good Books

Dr. Bronner’s magic Soap

Any Burt’s Bees product

Stationary and envelopes

Any delicious, simple recipes (especially for eggplant or okra)

Goodies for a Thanksgiving dinner, especially canned pumpkin (I’m planning ahead, because I love to eat)

Note on Packaging: Unless you are sending anything extremely light, I strongly suggest a flat rate international box. Also, taking items that are individually wrapped out of their outer packaging can save space, such as drink mixes or granola bars.

1 comment:

  1. I have so enjoyed your blog and am so sorry it has taken so long to find. I will now become a faithful reader and love to hear the details of your life. Steve's uncle father Jerome shared a bit of info about his trip to Haiti and we shared about your life. He was very interested and we love what you have accomplished. We are still collecting things for your boxes and we send all our love your way. We are very proud of you. xoxoxoxo Aunt Marsha PS love the name of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete