Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Goodbye, Goodbye

 

P6200008

My bags are packed, unpacked, and repacked.  There have been to-do lists for my to-do list, and all list have been checked and double checked.  I’ve been on shopping trips and second trips, and to the electronics store not once, not twice, not three, but four times.  I said a long, sad, tearful goodbye to Big Bunny.  I’ve moved out, moved in, sorted, and moved out again.  I’ve put in, taken out, and put away.  I’ve downloaded movies, backed up files, and written countless emails.  I’ve seen bankers and lawyers, tax accounts and met with sustainable farmers.  I’ve explained where in the world is Burkina Faso and what the Peace Corps is and answered every imaginable question possible.  I’ve said hellos and I’ve said goodbyes.  I’m sick of talking and preparing, and just ready to leave already. 

Yesterday I spent a lovely afternoon with my Michigan family at the beloved pond I grew up on; a good note to leave on.  And after an exhausting evening into the day of last minuets, only an hour of sleep, and a full day flying to staging and Peace Corps orientation, introductions to 50 fellow trainees, and a delicious last supper it’s time to bid America adieu.  Tomorrow is yellow fever shots, bussing to JFK, and we’re off.  So Goodbye, Goodbye! I will miss you all!        

3 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip, Ash. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad to hear that you arrived safely at all your destinations. I went shopping today and got Big Bunny some new greens so she doesn't get tired of eating the same thing. She was depressed for a few days after you left but she is fine now. I miss you but am so proud of you and what your undertaking. It an incredible experience for you. Your doing a wonderful thing and helping so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I definitely agree with you on taking the chance to do such a wonderful mission! This is a chance in a lifetime for you. There are people all over the world who need help and so little people willing to sacrifice their time and energy to help them. God Bless you and keep you under his protection during your travels..

    ReplyDelete