Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why in the world....

Moving home, well, sucked.  As I'm sure you can imagine.  Of course the physicality of moving was unpleasurable- it was hot as balls, moving down three flights of stairs, and don't forget the 13ish hours it took to drive home- but then there is the actual fact of departing form the city I called home for the last 5 years.  It didn't really hit me that I do not have a return date for DC until I got home, unpacked the truck, and started putting things in their resting place.  As I began to put things in their places Mom said to me, "This is your room, you can decorate it however you want," and my heart stopped for a second.  This is not my room, nor ever really was.  It was my sister's room before I went to boarding school and then it was "the girls room" for when we came to visit.  And I am not moving in, I do not live in Michigan, I'm just visiting and storing my things here while I live abroad.  I'm still in transit.  I love you Mom, and I appreciate the sentiment, but I stopped living in Michigan 9 years ago.  There will be no decorating, unless the best way to keep my photos safe are on your wall.  That is when I fully realized that I also no longer live in Washington D.C.  

One of the most challenging parts about being back in Michigan, I find, is that I constantly have to defend my decision to join the Peace Corps.  I joined my grandmother for the annual Memorial Day BBQ at our neighborhood pond (it's not your typical pond, it's a small lake that is been turned into a beach and use-to-be tennis club).  Nany is the president and has singlehandedly run the place for years, plus I spent everyday of my summer up there as a child and then was a lifeguard, so I've known most of the families there pretty much my whole life.  Not only that, but I baby-sat their kids everyday for 3 summers when I was a lifeguard.  I was shocked at the overwhelming negative response I received when I replied to their queries of what I'm doing now.  I was surprised by many peoples general lack of knowledge of what the Peace Corps actually is/does.  But what really threw me is the constant question "Why in the world would you want to do that?".  The first time I was asked this, a couple weeks ago, I was so caught off-guard that I was speechless.  I guess that DC and the people I surround myself with there are so NGO or humanitarian (or liberal?  what ever you want to call it) friendly that motivation was never a question, it was a given.  I don't really understand not wanting to join the Peace Corps, if you had the opportunity.  I can't understand not wanting to live abroad for a period of time, learning a new culture, walking in someone else's shoes, learning how they life.  These people are going to have a wealth of knowledge and skill sets that are totally different form the American knowledge bank, and I don't know why you wouldn't want to tap into that.  I don't know why you wouldn't want to learn 2 other languages, if you had the chance.  And I cannot imagine, for the life of me, not wanting to assist a community in making a positive difference (hopefully).  I'm not sure exactly where I'll be living or in what conditions or even exactly what I'll be doing (isn't that the exciting part?), but I know that this village has requested a volunteer and they have a need, and as a health volunteer that need could potentially save a life.  I am willing to fill that need as best I can.  Wouldn't you?

Apparently not.  As soon as I mention I am going to West Africa people sigh and say "good luck..." like I was trying to make pigs fly or going to go stand in the middle of a war zone.  I know the Peace Corps is not for everyone, and that not every PCV could handle a placement like mine, but peoples blatant lack of appreciation (and, sometimes, approval) for what I am doing gets tiring, especially, occasionally, from my own family members.  I know that all my basic needs will be met and I'm about to embark on an incredible experience, and that's good enough for me.                      

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you, Ash. I think you should read a book called "Nervous Conditions" by Tsitsi Dangarembga. It's about a woman growing up and obtaining an education by her own means in Africa. It's absolutely wonderful, I couldn't put it down.

    I know what you mean about just storing stuff at "home." It makes my mom mad and she says she's not a storage facility so I keep visiting to make her happy. Living away from DC made me realize how happy I was there and how "at home" I felt for so long. My goal is to eventually teach at one of the universities there because I almost can't see myself happier anywhere else.

    Best of luck and lots of love. I'll wear my hippo earrings and think of you. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to the Nervous Conditions week from my "Pleasure Prose" blog: http://pleasureprose.blogspot.com/search/label/Nervous%20Conditions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious if you got the last letter I sent to you in DC? Not sure how often I will write you in Africa considering how hard it was to get mail to you in DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you going into the Peace Corps, {it will be the hardest job that you will ever LOVE} I know that it will enrich your life as all the traveling that you have already done. You can see the world thru the lives of those you help. I know when I was young and got to go overseas to Germany and to England and live in another culture and the customs that were new to me, and then all of the places that The Marine Corp sent me to like Haiti, Japan, Australia etc.. I got to see the world thru a different view then what we see here in the USA. When I was in Haiti we helped the Hospital in Port-au-Prince it made me feel like I was making a difference in someone’s life I could never find the words to say just how it made me feel it was more than Joy more than Pleasure it was more then Bliss. But I don’t have to tell you for you know that feeling too. I am very happy to know you, and I am very happy that you can go and help those who have less than Most.

    ReplyDelete