Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My new hair cut

My first major step in preparing to leave was a hair cut.  I am protective of my hair, and am very particular on who cuts it.  It took me 4 years in DC to find a hair salon that I liked and a hair stylist I trusted (Ashley at Immortal Beloved).  So right before leaving DC I wanted to make sure I got a last hair cut.  I hadn't really put much thought into it before hand, just walked in and told Ashley my deal- Peace Corps, West Africa, no electricity, no hair products, and no hair cuts for at least a year.  She strongly suggest something short and after explaining the benefits- wash & wear, won't need to carry around hair ties, off my neck, etc- I reluctantly agreed thinking something about bob length.  After a horrible shorter hair cut experience in high school, I've been very weary of short hair.  Even after cutting off 13 inches for Locks of Love two years ago my hair was still just above shoulder length.  So you can imagine my horror when she came at my face with hair shears.  When it was all said and done, it was not bob length.  Not anywhere near chin length.  The front is barely long enough to go behind my ears.  Not going to lie, when I first saw it I had a slight urge to cry.  But then she made a comment that totally flipped my view point, "It's a whole new you!"  And in a way, she's right.  I'm going to the Peace Corps in West Africa...  It's time to be practical.  The Burkinabe are not going to care what my hair looks like or what I'm wearing, they are justing going to be happy I'm there (hopefully!).  I'm going to a country without running water and unreliable electricity, if any at all, so why care if I have a funky hair cut according to american standards, because long hair is the latest trend?  It is a new me- a short hair, glasses (I finally caved and got glasses, after over a year of suspecting I needed them), braver, ready to leave America behind for life in West Africa me.  ... or at least in the preparation to be a new me...    

After almost a week with the new hair, I'm starting to really like it.  In the DC heat it was really nice to have my hair off my neck without even thinking about it and not having to do anything with it after I shower shaves tons of time off of my dressing routine.  And it looks cute without doing anything to it.  I just have to figure out how to combat bed-head, I'm not going to be able to shower every morning in Burkina, but other then that I kind of love it.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment